- Newsletter from GM Alex Baburin with details of upcoming tournaments, chess camps and chess news, updated soon.
- Next JUNIOR CHESS TOURNAMENT
- Grandmaster Alex Baburin is organising a tournament for players aged 6 to 13. Beginners are welcome.
- Chess sets will be provided on the day. Please note that there will be two sections – Minor and Challenger. Both sections will feature many prizes, including trophies for the top finishers and medals for those who place near the top, along with a prize for Best Girl.
- Early entrants will be entered in to a draw to play against Alex, Ireland’s only Grandmaster, in an 8-board simultaneous exhibition, before the beginning of the tournament.
- Date & time: Sunday, 5th of February, 13:45 – 18:15 Venue: Talbot Stillorgan Hotel (ample free parking!)
- Entry fee: €15; all registrations are on the day Schedule: 13:45 – 15:00 Registration and friendly games 14:15 – 15:00 Simultaneous exhibition with GM Alex Baburin 15:00 – 18:00 6-round tournament 18:00 – 18:15 Prize-giving After round 3 there will be a break during which Alex Baburin will give a short masterclass.
- We may need to limit entries in the Minor tournament to 100 players, so please register early. Players registered before 14:15 will enter a draw for playing in an 8-player simultaneous-play exhibition against Grandmaster Baburin, which will take place from 14:15 to 15:00.
- Parents are welcome to stay, but can also leave and return before 18:00. There will be a chess stall, where you can buy chess sets, books & software. With any queries, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or call Alex Baburin on 087-968-2378.
- Mid-term Chess Camp 20 – 24 February 2017
- For boys & girls aged 6-13 Chess players of all levels and abilities are welcome!
- 10.00 am – 2.30 pm each day St. Conleth’s College 28 Clyde Road, Dublin 4 Programme:
- Grandmaster Alex Baburin will provide professional coaching for beginners and intermediate/advanced players, with some separate lessons for each group. Children will be supervised at all times. The schedule for each day will include two 40-minute lessons, followed by a lunch break (bring a packed lunch!) and tournament games. There will be two tournaments – the first tournament will run from Monday to Wednesday, while the second tournament will take place on Thursday and Friday.
- For further information or to register for the camp, please email Alex Baburin at email@example.com or call on 087-968-2378.
- Please make sure you’ve registered before attending the camp! Payments can be made during the camp or in advance – by credit card or by sending a cheque payable to Chess Promotions Ltd to Alex Baburin, 3 Eagle Hill, Blackrock, Co. Dublin.
- FEE: €95 Special Rates: 2 siblings €150 3 siblings €210 It is possible to attend the camp for only a day or part of the week – the daily rate is €25 per child and €40 for two siblings. Application Form
- Junior Chess Clubs
Nowadays there are several chess clubs around Dublin catering for junior players. I would like to provide information about some of them.
Rathmines Junior Chess Club
This club meets every Monday and Wednesday evenings at 7pm in the Kenilworth Bowling Club on Grosvenor Square. Monday classes are suitable for players from 6 years upwards. Wednesday nights are suitable for older and more experienced players. Club teams participate in events run by the Leinster Chess Union and the Irish Chess Union. Check out http://www.rathminesjuniorchessclub.com to see all its activities. If you would like to join, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Malahide Junior Chess Club
Malahide Junior Chess Club meets every Monday night in St Sylvester’s GAA Club, Church Road, Malahide from 7:15 p.m.m to 8:15 p.m. Club activities involve coaching, problem solving competitions and chess tournaments. Members are encouraged to participate in external tournaments while stronger players participate on Senior Club teams in the Leinster Leagues. Details available from Tom O’Sullivan 087-285-3031.
Shankill Junior Chess Club
This club is run by Lukasz Goralsky. It meets on Saturdays from 15:30 to 17:00 in St Ann’s NS. Contact Lukasz on 087-165-6884 for more details. Lukasz is also providing group coaching in Monkstown on Thursdays.
With best regards,